- If the intermittent diarrhoea is bearable and not inhibiting day to day life, then this may not require intervention.
- If, intermittent diarrhoea is a concern for people, it is worth discussion with the prescribing doctor and/or referral to the health care team.
- While not PBS listed to be taken twice a day (morning and night) this dosing is often better with respect to the gastrointestinal side effect profile.
- It is often helpful to advise that the medicine itself is dissolving and working appropriately.
The effect on an individual’s blood glucose levels when beginning metformin is approximately 2-3 weeks.
Where people have been asked to monitor glucose levels when starting
metformin advise it may take 2-3 weeks before they experience
- Please refer the individual to their health care team.
- All individuals on metformin should be supplemented with sublingual or buccal vitamin B12 (not tablets since this will not be absorbed) to prevent vitamin B12 deficiency.